Car parking at the beginning and end of the school day is a problem at most primary schools. Children and parents arrive and depart in a relatively short period of time and this causes congestion. Some while ago, Governors restricted the movement of cars inside the school gates between 8.45 and 9.10 in the morning and between 3.00 and 3.30 in the afternoon. This improved safety within the site, but considerable danger still exists outside the school gates.There have been instances of:
- cars entering the school site at peak times when children are arriving/leaving
- cars stopping or parking on the restricted yellow marked areas outside the gates
- cars stopping or parking on pavements in Plaw Hatch Close/ Ascot Close
- cars driving along pavements to get around congestion
- periodic complaints from residents about drivers’ behaviour and vehicle obstruction.
So, please walk to school if you can. If you have to come by car, try to share trips with neighbours or friends, observe the traffic regulations in Plaw Hatch Close and park properly here and in the surrounding residential roads. The school has a duty of care to its neighbours. Parking on restricted areas or mounting the pavement is a traffic offence.
So please remember:
- No vehicles to move within the school grounds between 8.45 and 9.10 am and between 3.00 and 3.30 pm, unless in case of emergency
- No parking outside or opposite the school gates
- No parking or vehicle movements on the pavement of Plaw Hatch Close/Ascot Close
- Respect our neighbours who live close to the school.
- No drop off on the school site for Kids Out after 8am
The Kiss ‘n’ Go zone in front of the school goes a long way in the battle to cut down on the congestion outside the school and make it a safer environment for the children. If you do use the zone, please drive to the front of the line and signal in and out so that other drivers are aware when a space may become available for them to use.
Thank you for helping to keep our school a safe place.
- Try to make these initiatives work for the benefit of Pupil Safety, local Residents and yourselves.
- Leave plenty of time for your planned journey
- Try to leave your car at home as much as possible and walk instead.
Consider cycling to/from school, even just occasionally, as an alternative to using the car. We provide Cycling Proficiency instruction to the new nationwide Bikeability Standard during June each year to our year 5 pupils - cyclists make safer and more considerate drivers in later life!
- Observe the one way system clockwise throughout Plaw Hatch Close at peak times, entering from Parsonage Lane by the Pelican Crossing and leaving at the All Saints end.
- Use the Stop, Kiss-n-Go zone
- Do be aware that vehicles will be passing the zone on your offside and may be turning into the junction ahead of you, cutting across your exit route.
- Rush to arrive just before or at school class opening times, give your children time to interact with their friends before school starts!
- Be put off your walk to school by cold or wet weather, or even the threat of it!
- Drive all the way to the school gate.
- Stop on the Zig-Zag and double yellow line markings, park or drive on the pavements, double park or obstruct the residents' driveways.
- Park in the Kiss-n-Go zone.
If you have any comments about parking around the school or on our Parking Initiatives, please email the school.